Mum’s mixed mushroom and spinach fettuccine
This deliciously creamy mixed mushroom and spinach fettuccine by Nici Wickes is the perfect dinner to enjoy during those cold winter months.
- 150 g dried fettuccine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g assorted mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 75 ml dry white wine (or water)
- 120 g spinach, blanched, drained and squeezed dry
- 100 ml cream
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt and black pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Bring a medium-sized saucepan of well-salted water to the boil. Pour the pasta in and cook until al dente. Drain well, reserving ½ cup of pasta water.
- Melt the butter with the oil in a heavy-based pan. Sauté the mushrooms until caramelised. Do this in batches so that the mushrooms don’t stew. Return all the mushrooms to the pan and add the garlic and balsamic vinegar. Add the wine and cook until it has almost evaporated.
- Add the blanched spinach to the mushrooms and pour in the cream, simmering for a few minutes until it thickens. Add the pasta and toss, topping with Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving.