Mum’s cheese scones
Cheese scones just like Mum makes! Wonderfully light and fluffy, this cheese scone recipe is fantastic served for morning or afternoon tea slathered with plenty of butter
Mum's cheese scones
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- 45 g chilled butter, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 cup milk
- 60 g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 tsp mustard
- few drops tabasco sauce
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a tray.
- Sift flour and salt together into a bowl. Using fingertips, rub in butter lightly.
- Make a well in the centre of flour mixture. Pour in milk all at once. Using a butter knife, mix quickly to a soft, sticky dough. Do not over-mix.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Press or roll out to 2cm thickness. Using a 6cm cutter, cut into rounds, then arrange close together on tray.
- For topping: In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Heat gently, stirring, until melted, then spoon liberally over scones.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack, then serve warm with butter.