Moussaka, potato recipe, brought to you by recipes+
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 5mm slices
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tsp vegetable or light olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 50 g baby spinach leaves
- 80 g feta, crumbled
- 250 g tub extra-light ricotta
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan
- mixed salad, to serve
- Using a fork, prick potatoes all over. Microwave on high (100%) 4-5 minutes, or until just tender. Cool; peel, then slice.
- Preheat an oven grill to high. Place eggplant slices on a large, foil-lined baking tray; spray eggplant with oil. Grill 4 minutes; turn. Spray with oil; grill a further 4 minutes, or until tender.
- Preheat oven to hot, 200°C (180°C fan forced). Spray a 2.5-litre (10-cup) ovenproof dish with oil.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add onion; cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Stir in capsicum, oregano, allspice, tomato paste, tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat; stir in spinach.
- Arrange half the eggplant over base of prepared dish. Spoon over half the tomato sauce. Sprinkle with half the feta. Top with potato. Repeat layers.
- Combine ricotta and egg in a medium bowl. Spread ricotta mixture evenly over eggplant; sprinkle with parmesan. Bake 30 minutes, or until golden. Stand 10 minutes. Serve with salad.