Minted pea, potato and bacon soup
With a bit on the side, this soup becomes a satisfying lunch or dinner.
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 100 g lean rindless bacon
- 500 g potato, peeled and diced
- 1.5 L salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups minted peas
- 1/4 cup cream to serve
- fresh shredded mint
- 8 slices french bread
- 90 g creamy feta cheese
- olive oil
- cracked pepper
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan and saute the onion, garlic and bacon for 3-4 minutes over a medium heat until softened.
- Add the diced potato and stock and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the potato is soft.
- Add the peas and simmer 2-3 minutes, then blend until smooth. Season to taste and serve in bowls with a swirl of cream and top with fresh mint.
- For the feta toasts, lay the sliced bread on a baking paper-lined tray and top with sliced or crumbled feta – pressing onto the bread, grill until just coloured then drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with mint and cracked pepper.