Mexican-style kumara and quinoa Buddha bowls
Discover the power of Buddha bowls with this tasty Mexican-inspired recipe. Packed with beans, quinoa, spices and herbs, these bowls make a delicious dairy and gluten-free lunch or dinner
- 2 cups kumara, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup red quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 400 g canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 red capsicum, deseeded, diced
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- avocado, nuts or seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Place kumara into a roasting dish, drizzle with oil and roast for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, place quinoa and vegetable stock in a saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and quinoa tender.
- While still hot, stir through the spices then add the roasted kumara and black beans, capsicum, onion and coriander.
- Whisk the syrup and 3 tablespoons of the lime juice together and drizzle over the top. Mix and divide between 4 bowls. Serve with toppings of your choice, such as sliced avocado, nuts, or a handful of spinach or corn. Finish with the remaining lime juice.