Mexican beef mince meatloaf pie with tomato salsa
Meatloaf, but not as you know it. This recipe transforms this favourite into a family-sized mince pie spiked with Mexican flavours. Top with fresh tomato salsa and a liberal drizzling of sour cream
- 1 kg minced beef
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 125 g can corn kernels, drained
- 125 g can red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 sachet taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- sour cream, lime wedges, salad leaves to serve
- 250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- juice of ½ lime (optional)
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Grease a 22cm round springform pan and place on an oven tray.
- In a bowl, combine mince, breadcrumbs, corn, kidney beans, coriander, egg and taco seasoning. Season.
- Press mixture into pan. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until cooked through and cheese is golden. Set aside for 5 minutes, then drain any excess juices. Remove from pan.
- For the salsa: In a bowl, toss all ingredients together. Season to taste.
- When ready to serve, top meatloaf with salsa. Accompany with sour cream, lime wedges and salad leaves.