Merry berry summer fruit wreath
Add an edible edge to a festive favourite with this easy recipe! Fruit, chocolate and berries combine to create this merry berry summer fruit wreath - it's a must for any Christmas spread!
- 1 kg black grapes
- 1 kg red grapes
- 3 punnets strawberries, large ones cut in half retaining the stalks
- 2 pomegranates, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 punnet raspberries, stalks intact
- 1 punnet blueberries or cherries
- 1 egg white
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 30 cm polystyrene wreath, available from craft stores
- a large serving board, platter or tray
- lots of toothpicks
- ready-made milk chocolate or white chocolate ganache, crème chantilly or berry coulis dipping sauce, to serve
- Snip the black grapes into small sprays. Whisk the egg white with a fork to loosen it and brush each grape with egg white, then coat with caster sugar. Place on a kitchen towel and leave in a warm dry place for several hours or overnight to dry.
- Place the polystyrene wreath on your serving board. Add small sprays of red and crystallised black grapes at intervals around the base of the wreath on the inside and outside, then on the top, securing with toothpicks through the stems as you go.
- Next, fill in the gaps using whole or halved strawberries, pieces of pomegranate and any loose grapes, adding the smaller raspberries, blueberries or cherries last. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place the dipping sauce in the centre and serve.