Meringue and berry layer cake
This impressive dessert is the perfect centrepiece for your Christmas table. The best part is, the meringues and fruit can be made ahead of time, then it’s just a quick assemble on the day.
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- squeeze of ½ a lemon
- 300 ml cream, whipped
- 50 g crème fraîche
- Preheat oven to 130°C. Line three baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then gradually add the sugar, a few tablespoons at a time. Beat until the mixture is glossy and stiff, and the sugar is dissolved. Add in the vinegar and vanilla, beating for 2-3 minutes more.
- Spoon a third of the mixture onto each lined tray. Spread into thin round discs.
- Bake for 1½ hours or until the outside shell is crisp, then turn off the oven and completely cool, with the oven door closed.
- Cook the chopped rhubarb by simmering with 1 tablespoon of the icing sugar and a splash of water or until just softened. Set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle remaining icing sugar over the chopped strawberries and blueberries. Squeeze over lemon juice and leave for 30 minutes or longer.
- To assemble, mix together the whipped cream and crème fraîche. Place one layer of meringue on a serving platter. Spoon half of the cream on and top with rhubarb, then with a second layer of meringue. Top this with the remaining cream and ¾ of the strawberries and blueberries, reserving any juice. Top with the final meringue disc and remaining fruit. Just before serving, drizzle over any saved juice.