Meatballs with courgette spaghetti
This dish is all about the spaghetti – but not as you know it! We made pasta-like strands from courgette to create a low-carb, gluten-free alternative to meatball pasta.
- 750 g gluten-free beef sausages
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 450 g mixed baby heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups passata
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped basil
- salt and black pepper
- 6 courgettes
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Squeeze meat from sausages. Add garlic; mix to combine. Roll mixture into 16 balls.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, for 3 minutes or until browned all over. Return all meatballs to pan. Add tomatoes, passata and half the basil; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, using a julienne peeler or spiraliser machine, cut the courgette into ‘spaghetti’.
- Add courgette and half the parmesan to sauce mixture; stir gently. Serve sprinkled with remaining basil and remaining parmesan.