Mandarin chicken salad with toasted almonds
This salad recipe is great as a weeknight meal, or makes a good filling for a wrap. The chicken can be made ahead and added to the salad cold, or hot straight from the pan
Mandarin chicken salad
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, halved and cut in thin slivers
- 2 cups or 3 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 3 cups pre-mixed slaw (this recipe used a colourful one with red cabbage)
- 1 cup bean sprouts or snow pea shoots
- 3 mandarins, peeled and segmented
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup mandarin juice (approximately 2 mandarins)
- 1 tbsp zest (approximately 2 mandarins)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- Combine the soy sauce, ginger, garlic, brown sugar and sesame oil in a bowl. Add the sliced chicken and toss to coat. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to marinate.
- While the chicken is marinating, make the dressing: combine the mandarin juice, zest, mayonnaise and vinegar in a small jug, whisk till combined and set aside.
- Grill, fry or barbecue the chicken. While the chicken is cooking toss the spinach, coleslaw and sprouts together and arrange on a platter.
- Scatter the mandarin segments over the platter. Drizzle with the dressing, pile on the cooked chicken and top with toasted almonds.