Luxury vanilla and malt toasted muesli
Malt extract gives this toasted muesli a delicious malty flavour and a nice crunch. This muesli recipe can be made up to three weeks ahead. Simply spoon into jars for tasty homemade Christmas gifts
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coarse coconut threads
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup New Zealand olive oil or nut oil
- 1/4 cup malt extract eg Maltexo (or sweeten with ¼ cup honey if you prefer)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup dried mango, sliced
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Place oats, coconut and nuts in a deep baking tray.
- Combine oil and malt in a small pan. Heat and stir until combined then add vanilla.
- Pour over oat mix, toss to coat thoroughly and bake in oven for about 15-20 minutes. Every 5 minutes, remove tray from oven and use a large wooden spoon to turn over muesli so it colours evenly. The muesli is ready when it is crunchy and lightly golden (keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t get too dark). Set aside to cool.
- When cooled, add wheat germ and dried fruit and toss well. Store in an airtight container or spoon into pretty jars for gifts