Lucy's apricot chicken
A signature family dish served to warm up chilled souls in the depths of winter. This is a lighter version using fresh late-summer apricots and Mediterranean flavours. Recipes and styling by Fiona Hugues. Photography by Jani Shepherd. Gatherum Collectif.
- 1 free-range chicken, butterflied
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup soft brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbsp capers in juice
- 1 tsp dried basil (or ½ tsp dried thyme or a few sprigs fresh thyme)
- 2/3 cup sicilian green olives
- 8 small ripe apricots
- Place everything except the olives and the apricots in a large ziplock bag, add salt and pepper to season, seal the bag and swirl around to mix. Leave in the refrigerator overnight to marinate.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 170°C fanbake.
- Carefully remove chicken from bag and lay in a shallow roasting tray then pour the marinade over and around it. Place the olives and apricots around the tray.
- Roast in the oven, basting with the juices once or twice, for around 40-45 minutes until chicken is golden and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the flesh is pierced with a knife.
- Remove from oven and leave to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve with a green salad and crusty bread to mop up the juices.