Louise slice with lemon curd and coconut
A Kiwi classic gets a zesty, citrusy twist with this Louise slice recipe. Traditional jam is swapped with lush lemon curd to create a tangy, seriously delicious afternoon tea treat. It's a must-try!
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup lemon curd
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup thread coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a square slice tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar using an electric beater for 4-5 minutes or until creamy and pale.
- Add the vanilla and egg yolks and mix well. Sift over the flour and baking powder and stir to form a soft dough. Press the mixture into the lined tin and smooth with the back of a spoon. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until just golden. Cool for 10 minutes in the tin.
- Spread lemon curd evenly over base.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg whites and slowly add second measure of sugar, beating for 3-4 minutes until glossy, thick peaks form. Fold in ¾ cup of the coconut.
- Spread meringue over the lemon curd and sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake the slice for 25-30 minutes or until the meringue is golden and toasted. Cool in tin then remove and cut into slices.