Lemon thyme sponge cake with curd cream
This delightful lemon thyme sponge cake recipe combines with curd cream to create a show stopping cake that's the perfect sweet touch for your next cake-worthy occasion
- 4 eggs (size 7) at room temperature
- 185 g caster sugar
- 140 g flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 25 g butter, melted
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp lemon thyme leaves, plus extra for decoration
- 1 cup lemon curd, plus extra for decoration (see below for recipe)
- 200 g crème fraiche
- 150 ml cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and line two matching 20cm cake tins with baking paper at the base and lightly grease the sides.
- Using an electric beater, beat the eggs and sugar for about 8 minutes or until very thick and pale (the mixture should make a ribbon when the beater is held up).
- Sift over the flour and baking powder and using your hand or a metal spoon, gently fold in with the combined melted butter and boiling water and thyme leaves. Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and lightly tap on the bench to remove air bubbles. Bake for 14-18 minutes or until the sponges are puffed, golden and just starting to pull away from the sides. Set aside to cool completely before filling.
- Combine the curd, crème fraiche and cream in a large bowl and beat with an electric beater for 1-2 minutes or until thick and spreadable.
- Place one sponge on a serving plate and spread with of the lemon curd cream, lay over the second sponge and top with dollops of lemon curd cream. Decorate with thyme leaves and swirls of extra lemon curd.
Discover how to make this classic lemon curd recipe.