Lemon loaf, almond recipe, brought to you by recipes+
- 125 g butter, at room temperature, plus 40 g extra
- 2/3 cup caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plain flour, plus 2 tablespoons extra
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan forced. Grease and line a 19x9cm (base measurement) loaf pan with baking paper, extending paper at long sides for handles.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 125g butter and 2/3 cup sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in 3/4 cup plain flour, the self-raising flour, milk, half the zest and the juice until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan; smooth surface.
- Place extra sugar, extra flour, remaining zest and the almonds in a medium bowl. Using fingertips, rub in extra butter to make coarse crumbs. Scatter mixture over top of cake mixture.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.