Lemon and poppy seed muffins
This delicious muffin recipe sees the winning combination of lemon and poppy seed come together to create a wonderfully fluffy afternoon tea treat
- 40 g poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 2 tbsp water
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 110 g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 190°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases or muffin wraps.
- Combine the poppy seeds, honey and water in a small pan. Cook, stirring, over a medium-low heat for about 3 minutes. Cool then stir through the lemon zest and juice.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the yoghurt and the seed mixture, beating slowly until combined. Sift over the flour, baking soda and baking powder and fold gently through the wet mixture until just combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for several days or frozen.