Lemon and poppy seed loaf
This perfectly zesty lemon and poppy seed loaf recipe is destined to be a favourite. Dense, moist and covered with a tangy lemon icing, this loaf goes hand in hand with a cup of tea and company
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp milk
- 125 g softened butter
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sifted self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp each lemon juice and boiling water
- shredded lemon zest
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C. Lightly grease and line an 11 x 21cm loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a small bowl, soak poppy seeds with milk for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat softened butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract together until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Lightly fold sifted self-raising flour into creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stir poppy seed mixture through. Spoon mixture into pan, smoothing top. Bake for 45-50 minutes until cooked. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make lemon icing, sift icing sugar into a bowl. Beat in butter, lemon juice and boiling water until a spreadable consistency. Spread over cooled cake and sprinkle with shredded lemon zest.