Leek and potato cakes
Serve warm with tomato chutney and enjoy these delicious leek and potato cakes for the perfect lunch or light weeknight meal
- 600 g floury potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large leek, white part only, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 25 g parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 3/4 cup store-bought tomato chutney or relish, to serve
- Cut potatoes into chunks, cover with cold salted water and bring to the boil. Cook until tender, drain and dry in the pan over the element to evaporate remaining moisture. Leave to cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan and gently cook leek until soft. Add garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Use a masher or fork to mash potatoes with skin on. Stir in leek mixture, chives, egg and parmesan. Season and mix well. Divide mixture into 8 pieces, then shape into patties. Dust lightly all over with cornflour.
- Heat half remaining oil in the frying pan. Gently fry potato cakes until golden on the bottom. Flip, add more oil if needed, and cook on the other side. Serve warm with tomato chutney.