Leek and kumara risotto
This leek and vegetable risotto recipe creates a quick, tasty dinner filled with kumara, peas and parmesan. Try this hearty, budget-conscious meal for dinner tonight!
- 1.5 L chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 large (300g) kumara, peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- extra virgin olive oil to serve
- In a large pot, heat stock on high until simmering. Cover, then keep warm.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil on high. Sauté leek for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, then sauté for 30 seconds.
- Stir in rice and kumara. Reduce heat to medium. Add one ladle of stock. Cook, stirring, until all liquid is absorbed. Continue with remaining stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly, for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in peas, half the cheese and parsley.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley, then drizzle with oil.