Kiwi-style pasties take the classic mince pie and add a bit of extra magic. Encased in crispy pastry and combining beef mince and swede, this is sure to become a favourite.
- 500 g beef mince
- 200 g potato, finely chopped
- 200 g swede, finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce, plus extra, to serve
- salt and plenty of black pepper
- 4 sheets store-bought shortcrust pastry
- 1/4 cup milk, for glazing
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- In a mixing bowl or processor combine the mince, potato, swede, onion, sauces, salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
- With a bowl or cutter, cut the pastry sheets into nine 15cm diameter circles, rerolling the trimmings.
- Brush pastry edges lightly with water and spoon ¼ cup of mixture into the centre of each; shape into an oblong. Draw the sides of the pastry over the middle and crimp.
- Place all the assembled pasties on a greased tray and brush with milk. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve hot with tomato sauce.