Homemade spicy lamb merguez sausage patties with yoghurt sauce
Nici Wickes shares her mum's recipe for North African inspired spiced lamb sausage patties. Barbecue and serve with lettuce and yoghurt sauce for a sensational meal that's bound to be a summer favourite
Homemade spicy lamb merguez sausage patties
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp harissa paste or hot sauce of your choice
- 500 g lamb mince
- lettuce leaves, tomatoes, to serve
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tbsp torn mint leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, mix the spices and harissa paste with the lamb mince until well combined, using your hands. Shape the mixture into six balls, then set aside.
- Heat a barbecue grill to medium. Flatten each ball with your hand, then transfer to the oiled grill. Cook on one side until browned and crispy, and blood comes through on the upper side, then flip the patties over and cook through for 2-3 minutes more.
- Make the yoghurt sauce by mixing all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Season to taste with extra lemon juice or salt.
- Serve the patties warm in lettuce leaves, accompanied by tomatoes and sauce.