Homemade ricotta, milk recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 2 L full-cream milk
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/3 cup white vinegar or lemon juice,
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley, mint or chives, finely chopped
- lavash, to serve (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine milk and cream and place over a low heat. Insert thermometer into mixture and heat to 90°C. Do not allow to boil.
- Add vinegar or lemon juice and stir twice to combine (over-mixing results in tough ricotta).
- Remove from heat. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside 10-15 minutes, until mixture separates into firm white curd and clear-yellow liquid whey.
- Line a sieve with fine muslin and place over a large bowl or sink. Gently spoon curd mixture into sieve, draining off whey.
- Gather corners of cloth together. Tie with kitchen string. Place in sieve or hang in fridge 1-2 hours (see tip) to drain excess whey.
- To serve, add salt and herbs to ricotta to taste.