Homemade corned beef platter
Nici Wickes' corned beef recipe is perfect for entertaining. Serve as part of a platter for a “build your own snack” option for feeding a crowd. It saves you time fiddling with little canapés
- 1 to 1.5 kilogram corned beef
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, peeled and studded with a couple of cloves
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 loaf rye bread, thinly sliced
- 300 g Gruyère cheese, sliced
- 6 to 8 gherkins, sliced
- mustard selection
- store-bought beetroot relish and/or sauerkraut
- Rinse the meat and cover in a large saucepan with cold water. Add the bay leaf, onion and golden syrup.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 1.5-2 hours until tender.
- Remove from the cooking liquid and allow to cool before slicing/shaving thinly.
- Serve with bread and condiments.