Herby Italian chicken and pumpkin bake with mozzarella
Nadia Lim nails dinner time with this Italian chicken bake recipe. Ready in under an hour, this gluten-free dish is easy enough for weeknights yet also sophisticated enough for a weekend dinner party. Dig in!
Italian herb chicken
- 800 g chicken thighs, boneless, skinless, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano (or 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano)
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest
- olive oil
- 600-700g butternut or pumpkin, cut into 1-2cm cubes (you can leave skin on)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, cored and chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme or rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 x 400 gram cans cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olives (optional)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- small handful fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Mix oregano, lemon zest and 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large bowl, add chicken and toss to coat. Leave to marinate at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- In a roasting dish toss butternut, onion, capsicum and garlic with thyme or rosemary and a good drizzle of olive oil, and season. Roast for about 20 minutes or until slightly caramelised.
- Stir tomatoes, sugar and vinegar together in a pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes until slightly reduced. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a good glug of olive oil.
- Season marinated chicken with salt. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Brown chicken in batches on both sides; you don’t have to cook it right through.
- Arrange chicken, roast vegetables and olives (if using) in a large baking dish. Spoon over tomato sauce and scatter over mozzarella. Bake for 8-10 minutes, then switch to grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden. Scatter over basil leaves and serve.