You might call this shepherd’s pie or cottage pie, but we named it hash. In the old days, there always seemed to be leftover meat, not so these days! Photography by Todd Eyre.
- 2 1/2 cups leftover roast lamb
- 1 medium piece onion
- leftover gravy from the roast
- 1 tbsp plum sauce (or other sauce or chutney), plus extra to serve
- 3 large pieces mashing potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- butter and milk, for mashing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter extra
- chopped parsley, cooked peas and broccoli, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 16 x 24cm dish.
- Mince the lamb meat using a mincer, or pulse in a food processor with the onion.
- Put the lamb and onion in the dish, then pour the gravy over, followed by the plum sauce.
- Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain, then mash, adding the butter, milk, salt and pepper.
- Spread the mash over themeat. Don’t smooth it – leave it rough, then dot extra butter on top.
- Cook for 30 minutes until the topping is golden. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with peas, broccoli and extra sauce.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.