Haloumi, chickpea and quinoa burgers
Veges are the stars in this delicious recipe for haloumi, chickpea and quinoa burgers. Serve for a filling, healthy family meal that doesn't skimp on flavour!
- 1 cup tri-coloured quinoa
- 400 g chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk extra
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 125 g haloumi, sliced
- 4 bread rolls, split, toasted
- 60 g bag rocket leaves
- 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- chipotle barbecue sauce, baby cucumbers to serve
- Cook quinoa following packet instructions. Cool.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine quinoa, chickpeas, coriander, seeds, garlic, spices, egg and yolk. Process until smooth. Form 2/3 cup mixture into patties. Arrange on an oven tray lined with foil. Chill for 30 minutes to firm.
- In a medium frying pan, heat half the oil on medium. Fry haloumi for 1-2 minutes each side until golden. Drain on a paper towel and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil on medium. Cook patties for 3-4 minutes each side until golden. Drain on a paper towel.
- Top toasted roll base with rocket, tomato, burger patty, haloumi and a dollop of chipotle sauce. Finish with roll top and serve with sliced baby cucumbers.