Grilled mussels with pesto, sun-dried tomato and cheese
Take your next nibbles up a notch with Nici Wickes' grilled mussels recipe. Topped with tasty goodies then cooked until bubbling, these little bites are perfect for sharing with friends and family over drinks
- 24 fresh mussels
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 125 g créme fraîche
- large pinch smoked paprika
- lemon wedges, cherry tomatoes and fresh coriander, to garnish
- Gently steam the fresh mussels in a saucepan with a little water with the lid on until they spring open. Let them cool, then remove the meat and take out the tongue and any beard. The beard is much easier to remove once they have opened. On a large oven tray, lay out the nicest looking half shells and put a mussel in each.
- Make the toppings by taking 3 ramekins or small bowls. Place the pesto in one, the sun-dried tomatoes in another and finally, the Parmesan in the other. Add 1 heaped tbsp crème fraîche to each and mix.
- Top eight mussels with pesto, eight with sun-dried tomato and the remaining with Parmesan, sprinkling these ones with paprika.
- Place under a hot grill and cook until bubbling.
- Serve warm with the lemon wedges and garnish with the cherry tomatoes and coriander sprigs. Accompany with toothpicks or little forks for ease of eating – and don’t forget the napkins!