Gluten-free lemony shortbread
Lemony shortbread is a beaut baking option for those following a gluten-free diet as its closed texture lends itself to the use of gluten-free flours. This recipe is good to keep on hand in the tins.
- 230 g butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1 3/4 cups gluten-free flour (Nici use Edmonds)
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 130oC. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift in the dry ingredients and add the lemon zest and salt. Mix well. Roll into a ball and flatten to a 4cm disc. Wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out on a well-floured (gluten-free of course) bench and cut into in batons. Transfer to the lined trays. Prick each piece with a fork 3 times. Chill again if it has softened.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Let the shortbread cool a little before moving to a wire rack.