Gluten-free lemon and grapefruit honey cake
We’re deep into the citrus season, meaning it is in abundance, so get into it with this fabulous gluten-free lemon and grapefruit honey cake.
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed, seeds saved, pods discarded
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut (gf) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 220 g butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- grated rind of 1 grapefruit
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50 g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- orange rind, to garnish
For the syrup
- juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 180oC. Grease a 20cm springform tin and line it with baking paper.
- In a bowl, mix together the cardamom, ground almonds, flour and baking powder.
- Use a beater to cream the butter and sugar in a bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and adding in the oil with the final egg. Fold in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the grapefruit rind, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Scrape the cake batter into your prepared tin and place it on the middle shelf of the oven to bake for about 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Remove and cool for 15 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, simmer the lemon juice and honey in a small saucepan until it thickens slightly. Cool to warm.
- Pierce holes in the cooled cake and pour over half of the syrup, a little at a time, until the cake has soaked it up. Sprinkle with pistachio nuts, drizzle with the remaining syrup and sprinkle with orange rind. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream or yoghurt.