Gingerbread, ginger recipe, brought to you by Australian Women's Weekly
- 1 cup (250ml) golden syrup or treacle
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2/3 cup (150g) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 250 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups (525g) plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp each ground nutmeg and cinnamon
- 60 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups (320g) icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease deep 23cm square cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- Stir golden syrup, water, sugar and butter in large saucepan over low heat until smooth. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, in two batches. Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake cake for about 1¼ hours. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- LEMON ICING: Beat butter and rind in small bowl until smooth; gradually stir in juice and sifted icing sugar.
- Spread cold cake with lemon icing. Cut into 16 squares.