Fruit sponge cake
Show off your bottling skills with this tasty sponge.
To stew fruit
- 3 cups chopped fruit
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups hot stewed or bottled fruit
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 25 g butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer. When the fruit softens, take it off the heat. (You want the fruit to hold its shape as it has another 30 minutes in the oven.)
- Heat your fruit in a pot and keep it warm while you make the sponge.
- Whisk an egg in a warm mixing bowl. When light and fluffy, add sugar and beat well. Sift flour and baking powder and add to the mixture alternately with milk, bit by bit, to stop it curdling.
- Stir until smooth.
- Put hot fruit into a baking dish. Add the melted butter and vanilla essence to sponge mixture and spoon it on top of the hot fruit.
- Bake in 180°C oven for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.