Festive stuffed chicken
Nici Wickes festive stuffed chicken recipe is simple to put together and it is spectacular served hot or cold. It makes the perfect stress-free recipe for Christmas lunch or dinner.
- 400 g streaky bacon
- 8 large free-range chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- salt and pepper, to season
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup mixed cranberries and currants, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 4 fresh sage leaves, shredded, plus 6-8 extra, fried in butter, for garnishing
- zest from ½ orange or 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- decent pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 30g butter
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lay out a large rectangle of baking paper with the long edge closest to you. Arrange bacon rashers vertically, overlapping each, to cover the paper. Make a row of 4 thighs along the long edge, slightly in from the edge of the bacon. Arrange each thigh to abut, or even slightly overlap, the next one (it’s like a jigsaw). Make a second row above, so you have a large rectangle. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the stuffing ingredients to combine and sprinkle evenly over the chicken. Starting from the long side closest to you, use the baking paper to roll up into a tight log. Carefully transfer to a roasting dish, placing it seam-side down. Brush with oil.
- Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes. Baste, then leave uncovered, and cook for a further 15-25 minutes or until the bacon is crisped and the chicken is cooked through.
- Scatter with crispy sage leaves and rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting into thick rounds to serve.