Fennel-rubbed pork with fennel and apple slaw
This recipe is ideal when you're wanting to get a healthy dinner on the table in a flash. Taking just 30 minutes to prepare, you'll have a delightfully balanced meal in your bellies, pronto.
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 600 g pork loin steaks, fat trimmed, flattened to 1cm thickness
Fennel and apple slaw
- 1 green apple
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 baby fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp whole-egg mayonnaise with olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Heat a small frying pan over high heat. Dry-fry fennel seeds for 2 minutes or until aromatic. Finely crush with a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder.
- Coat pork in the ground fennel and season with pepper. Heat an oiled grill pan, grill plate or barbecue over high heat. Cook pork for 5 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Cover loosely with foil. Rest for 5 minutes.
- To make the slaw, core apple and cut into matchsticks. Combine cabbage, fennel, apple, spring onion and coriander in a large bowl. Toss through combined mayonnaise and vinegar, then season with pepper.
- Serve pork with fennel and apple slaw.