Feijoa, thyme and blue cheese muffins
The delicious savoury tones of feijoas work beautifully with the blue cheese and thyme in Nici Wickes's incredible feijoa muffins that are brilliant enjoyed with a hot cup of tea or coffee
- 100 g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt and a grind of black pepper
- 6 medium feijoas, scooped and mashed, plus 3 extra, peeled and sliced, for topping
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 100 g blue cheese, roughly crumbled
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 12-hole regular muffin tin.
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and continue to beat for 1 minute.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the milk and add to the mixture.
- Sift the flours and baking powder, then fold into the butter mixture. Season with salt and pepper, then add the feijoas and thyme leaves. Mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins to three-quarter fill. Add a feijoa slice to the top of each and crumble over a generous helping of blue cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Rest the muffins for 5 minutes before removing from the tins.