Feijoa slice with coconut crumble topping
Make the most of feijoa season with this moreish feijoa slice recipe. With a golden base, cinnamon and feijoa filling and coconut crumble topping, this is a sweet treat you've got to try while you can
- 220 g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or extract
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup thread coconut
- 10 feijoas, peeled, sliced
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line the base of a slice tin around 18cm x 26cm or similar.
- Cream butter and first measure of sugar with an electric beater until pale and fluffy, add vanilla and beat well. Using a spatula, stir in flour and desiccated coconut to form a soft dough. Divide mixture into thirds, then combine two of the quantities to make one large and one small portion.
- Press the larger amount into the base of the lined slice tin and smooth with wet fingertips of the back of a wet spoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just starting to turn golden. Add the thread coconut to the remaining dough and mix well, then chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Toss feijoas with the second measure of sugar and cinnamon. Arrange evenly over the partially cooked base, then crumble over the coconut dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and puffed. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with ice cream or allow to cool and slice.