Feijoa and custard crumble tart
This recipe has layers of delicious sweet pastry, feijoas, custard and crumble that combine to make an irresistible slice
- 1 sheet sweet short pastry
- 5 large feijoas (or enough to fill the tart)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup plain flour
- 100 g chilled butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- icing sugar to dust
- cream or natural yoghurt to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Line a 22.5cm square or similar-sized round tart tin with pastry (you may have to roll it out a little to fit the tin). Place a piece of baking paper over the pastry, then top with blind-baking beans/rice or dried pasta. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Take the tin from the oven, remove the blind-baking material and baking paper, then set aside. Leave oven on.
- Peel and cut feijoas into 1cm slices, then layer over the pastry shell.
- Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and cream together in a jug. Whisk until well combined.
- In a food processer or mini blender, place the flour, chilled butter and brown sugar. Pulse until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Pour egg mixture carefully over the feijoas, then scatter over crumble mixture.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the custard mixture is set and the crumble is golden.
- When ready to serve, dust with icing sugar and serve with cream or natural yoghurt.