Easy summer strawberry trifle
This showstopping strawberry trifle recipe is a must for any sweet summer occasion - especially Christmas! Easy and requiring just a few ingredients, this recipe is a winner
- 3 punnets strawberries
- 2 ready-made jam-filled Swiss rolls
- 1/3 cup sherry or fruit juice
- 400 g can of berries in juice – we used canned boysenberries
- 500 ml ready-made vanilla custard
- 300 ml softly whipped cream
- Wash and hull ¾ of the strawberries – leave a few with the hull in place for decorating.
- Halve the hulled strawberries and set aside. Slice the Swiss rolls in half longwise, then into 1cm slices.
- Line the base of a trifle bowl with ⅓ of the Swiss roll slices, arranging the pieces around the side in a pattern. How you do this will be determined by the shape of the trifle bowl. For one with straight sides, cutting the Swiss roll slices in half allows you to show off the layers. For a rounder dish, whole slices will display the pretty swirls to great effect.
- Drizzle the Swiss roll with ⅓ of the sherry or juice and then spoon in ⅓ of the canned berries in juice. Add ⅓ of the chopped strawberries, ⅓ of the custard and ⅓ of the cream.
- Repeat with 2 more layers of Swiss roll, sherry/juice, berries in juice, strawberries, custard and cream, finishing with cream.
- Halve the reserved strawberries and use to decorate the top. Chill for 3-4 hours or overnight.