Easy sultana slice
This deliciously easy sultana slice recipe doesn't hide behind any fancy ingredients - it's just good, old-fashioned baking at its best
- 125 g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup sultanas
- 50 g butter, softened
- 2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2-3 tablespoons boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line an 18cm x 28cm pan with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric beater until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well. Stir in the vanilla essence and lemon zest. Sift in the flour. Add the sultanas. Fold together gently until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the base of the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool.
- To make the icing, mix the ingredients together until you have a spreadable consistency. Spread the icing over the cooled base and leave to set before cutting the slice into pieces.