Easy pork vindaloo curry with raita
Recreate this tender pork vindaloo curry at home with this easy-to-follow recipe. It's great served with warm naan bread for dipping, and finished off with a cooling yoghurt, mint and cucumber raita
- 1 kg boneless pork shoulder, cubed
- 1/3 cup vindaloo curry paste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red Thai chilli, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock
- 100 g tomato paste
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh coriander leaves
- rice, naan to serve
- 1 cup Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 medium cucumber, grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves, plus extra to serve
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- In a shallow dish, combine pork and curry paste. Cover and marinate in fridge for 2-3 hours.
- In a large, heavy-based saucepan, heat half the oil on high. Brown meat in 3 batches for 2-3 minutes each. Transfer to a plate. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining oil to pan. Sauté onion for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add garlic, ginger and chilli, then cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Return pork to pan with stock and tomato paste. Bring to the boil on high. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1-1 ½ hours until meat is tender and sauce has thickened.
- For the raita: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Season to taste.
- Serve curry scattered with coriander and accompanied with rice, raita and naan.