Easy orange creme caramel
Create this perfectly creamy, zesty orange creme caramel pudding recipe as a beautiful dessert. Topped with homemade caramel sauce and almonds, this is the perfect dessert to enjoy with loved ones
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 300 ml cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp orange liqueur
- 2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- toasted flaked almonds and orange segments, to serve
- Preheat oven to moderately slow, 160°C. Line a baking dish with a folded tea towel. Lightly grease a 20cm round shallow cake pan.
- In a medium saucepan, combine caster sugar and water.
- Stir over low heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat slightly and bring to the boil. Simmer, without stirring, for 5-7 minutes until mixture is a golden caramel.
- Holding cake pan with an oven glove, pour caramel into pan, swirling it to come 2cm up sides of pan. Place pan into a baking dish, on top of a tea towel. Cool.
- In a saucepan, combine cream, milk, caster sugar, orange liqueur and orange zest. Stir on low until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and egg yolks together. Beat in milk mixture. Strain into pan.
- Pour hot water into dish to come halfway up sides of pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes until set – it will be slightly wobbly in the centre.
- Remove and cool completely. Chill overnight. Turn onto a serving plate. Sprinkle toasted flaked almonds and orange segments over. Serve in wedges.