Easy beef and red wine casserole with mashed potatoes
Economical and easy, this one-pot beef and red wine casserole recipe is sure to hit the spot for a comforting dinner! Serve this tender, slow cooked dish with creamy mashed potatoes
- 1 kg beef chuck steak (see recipe tip), trimmed, cubed
- 1/4 cup seasoned flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 carrots, trimmed, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cups campbell’s real beef stock
- 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 4 thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- mashed potato to serve
- Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Toss meat in seasoned flour, shaking off excess.
- In a large casserole dish, heat 2 tablespoons oil on high. Brown meat in 3 batches for 3-4 minutes each. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil on medium. Sauté carrot, celery, onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes.
- Return meat to pan with stock, tomatoes and wine.Add thyme and bay leaves, then season. Bring to the boil, stirring.
- Bake, covered, for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for a further 30 minutes until meat is very tender. Top casserole with extra thyme and serve with mash.