Dreamy chicken and asparagus pasta
Quick dinners don't have to be boring - just one mouthful of this dreamy chicken and asparagus pasta and you'll never look back! Creamy and flavoursome, it seems a crime that it only takes 30 minutes.
- 400 g dried pasta
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp basil leaves, torn
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 200 g block cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to packet directions. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, add the asparagus to the water. Drain the pasta and asparagus.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and garlic and cook gently until tender. Add the asparagus, basil, oregano, chilli flakes and chicken stock.
- When the asparagus is tender, add the cubed cream cheese to the pan with a dash of milk or cream and heat gently. Stir frequently, adding milk or cream in increments, until cream cheese is melted; stir until smooth.
- Mix in chicken, season and when heated, serve over cooked pasta.
For Sophie Gray's best asparagus tips and tricks, go to In season with Food magazine: asparagus.