Doughnuts with caramel sauce
Whip up a batch of these while your guests hover to gobble them up! Make the batter and sauce ahead of time, then it’s a quick cook to serve them up freshly fried.
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup water + extra
- 1 1/2 cups coconut oil for frying
- icing sugar for dusting
- 3/4 cup coconut or organic sugar
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the cup of water and stir so there are no lumps. Leave to sit for 2 minutes, then drizzle in more water until you have a thick batter.
- Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan to medium-hot. Drop large teaspoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil – it should immediately sizzle. Fry until golden brown all over, turning if they don’t pop over themselves.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with caramel sauce.
- Heat all of the ingredients over a medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes, until caramel has thickened, stirring occasionally. Add more salt to taste if you like, but be careful how you test the sauce – it doesn’t come hotter than boiling sugar so don’t go dipping your finger in!
- Remove from heat; the sauce will thicken further as it cools.