Doughnuts, egg recipe, brought to you by recipes+
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 50 g butter, melted
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- assorted coloured sprinkles, to decorate
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg, sugar and 1 teaspoon essence in a small bowl until creamy. Stir in milk and half butter. Stir in combined sifted flour and baking powder to form a soft dough. Cover with plastic food wrap; chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Knead dough gently on a lightly floured surface. Pat dough to 1-1 1/2cm thick. Using a 5cm floured biscuit cutter, cut dough into 16 rounds. Using a 2.5cm cutter, cut out the centre of each round. Place doughnuts (and centres) on prepared tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Combine icing sugar, remaining essence and 1 1/2-2 tablespoons boiling water in a medium heatproof bowl; stir to make a runny glaze.
- Dip doughnuts into warm glaze and decorate with sprinkles.