Date scones, dates recipe, brought to you by Woman's Day
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp allspice
- 30 g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- butter, to serve
- Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease an oven tray.
- Sift flour and allspice together into a large bowl. Add butter and rub in, using fingertips. Stir in dates and sugar.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add combined milk and egg all at once, reserving about a teaspoon for glazing.
- Turn mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Press or roll out lightly until about 3cm thick.
- Using a 4cm floured cutter, cut into rounds. Place close together on tray. Brush with reserved milk mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until scones sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with butter.
Keep screen on while I cookDone! Your screen will stay awake for an hour or until you leave this page.
Keep your screen alive while you cook. No more shutting down mid-recipe. Your screen will stay on for an hour with no impact on your device settings.