Curried pear and parsnip soup with crispy bacon and chives
Nici Wickes' curried pear and parsnip soup recipe has a velvety texture and spicy-sweet flavour. The addition of a starchy potato brings the parsnip and pear together beautifully. Serve with crispy bacon and enjoy!
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 pear, diced
- 1 tbsp curry powder (make sure it’s fresh)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- decent grind of black pepper
- 1 L water or vegetable stock
- 4 rashers middle bacon, cooked to crisp, to serve
- 2-3 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the oil until soft. Add the parsnips and potato, then cook gently for 10 minutes until they begin to soften. Add the pear, spices and seasoning. Continue to sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over the water and simmer until the vegetables and pear are very soft.
- Blend with a stick blender or in batches in a food processor. Pour back into the saucepan and add more water if it is too much like purée instead of a soupy consistency. Bring to a rapid simmer until piping hot.
- Serve topped with the crispy bacon and a sprinkling of chives.