Big flavour comes in small sizes
- 1 telegraph cucumber, quartered lengthways and cut into thirds
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 4 bayleaves
- 2 dried chillies, crumbled
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 tbsp sugar
- cider vinegar
- Place the cucumber and salt in a colander and toss to combine. Leave for up to an hour.
- Tip into a clean tea towel and squeeze out any remaining liquid, slice into 2cm lengths, then place in a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the vinegar and water. Mix to combine. Spoon into a large sterile jar, then top with one-third vinegar and two-thirds water to cover the pickles. Seal and refrigerate until needed.