Crushed candy cane cupcakes
A crunchy, pepperminty, Christmas twist on a cupcake!
- 125 g butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 100 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp milk
- 15 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line a 12-cup muffin tray with paper or foil cases.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, one by one, beating lightly after each addition until combined. Stir in essence, flour and milk.
- Spoon into prepared holes. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean.
- Stand in tray for five minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the buttercream icing, use an electric mixer to beat the butter in a large bowl until as white as possible. Gradually beat in icing sugar and milk until fluffy.
- Spoon buttercream in to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star-shaped nozzle; pipe onto cupcakes.
- Place crushed candy canes in a shallow bowl. Press tops of cupcakes into candy cane to lightly coat.