Crispy prawn balls
Whip up this crispy prawn balls recipe for your next entertaining occasion! These delicious bite-sized snacks are fantastic passed around the party with sweet chilli sauce and lime wedges
- 1 1/2 kg king prawns
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 8 slices white bread, crusts removed, cut into small cubes
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- coriander leaves, sweet chilli sauce, lime wedges to serve
- Select 12 prawns, then peel and devein them, leaving tails intact. With the remaining prawns, peel, devein and chop them.
- In a bowl, combine the chopped prawn with cornflour, chives, egg white, ginger, soy and pepper. Mix well until sticky.
- Using damp hands, wrap 1½ tablespoons of sticky mixture around each prawn to form balls, leaving tails out. Press into bread cubes to coat. Place on a lined oven tray and chill for 30 minutes.
- In a large saucepan,heat oil on high until a few crumbs sizzle when added (170°C). Deep-fry prawn balls in 3 batches for 3-4 minutes each until cooked, golden brown and crisp. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve scattered with coriander leaves, accompanied with sweet chilli sauce and lime wedges.