Crispy baked chicken with apricots
Crispy chicken, soft tart apricots and meltingly sweet onions and leeks make this Nici Wickes' apricot chicken recipe a firm favourite
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 3-4 chicken drumsticks
- 3-4 boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 leek, sliced
- 1/2 cup stock or water
- greens and rye bread, to serve
- Plump the apricots in a bowl of boiling water for at least 20 minutes.
- Pat the chicken dry, then shake in a plastic bag with the flour, salt, pepper, caraway seeds and diced onion until the chicken is well-coated.
- Oil a baking or roasting dish. Make a bed of leeks, then tumble the chicken pieces on top. Shake any extra seasoning over the chicken. Scatter over the drained apricots.
- Add the stock, but don’t pour it directly on the chicken as you’ll wash off the seasoning!
- Roast, covered, at 180°C for 30 minutes. Uncover for a further 15-20 minutes until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve with greens of choice and rye bread (see note).